Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My New Normal

Dear Family & Friends,

I find it interesting that today is New Year's Eve, and it also marks my Mom's passing just three weeks ago.  I will admit I have been quite emotional which is completely normal; I just never thought that I would hurt this much.  Mom's passing was unexpected contrary to what some are and have been saying.  All I can say, to those who think they know more about Mom's passing than me and my family, is that you have sadly been misinformed.

A friend of mine posted this on FB the other day and I found it quite fitting so I thought I would share:

"Grief is the natural by-product of love. One cannot selflessly love another person and not grieve at his suffering or eventual death. The only way to avoid the grief would be to not experience the love; and it is love that gives life its richness and meaning." -Elder Lance B. Wickman

My Mom loved unconditionally and taught me so much about how to be a better daughter, sister, and person.  She always said to take the high road, to turn the other cheek, and to live by the Golden Rule.

Earlier this year along with a friend of mine, I went to group grief counseling to help me with the loss of my brother Zack.  What I learned is that I will never "get over" my brother's or mother's death.  I learned is that with each day I am finding my new normal.  Life without Zack and Mom to keep me company each day.  Finding my new normal where my grief doesn't overwhelm and I can be content.  As my Mom always said, "this too shall pass."

They say that after a major death you aren't suppose to make any major life decisions for the next 6 months to a year.  So here is to finding my new normal in 2014!

Happy New Year!

Much love,

Robyn

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Robyn. I can totally relate to this and needed to hear exactly what you wrote. You are such a great example.

    ReplyDelete