Monday, April 14, 2014

Passports and Cards

Dear Friends & Family,

I thought that we could celebrate me finally not living out of suitcases!  Since I started my journey with Mom last August, I have been living out of suitcases.  I do not understand how people who travel regularly for work can do it. 

A couple of weeks ago, I drove out to Logan and packed up everything.  My friend Kelli was a pal and road back to Mississippi to keep me entertained.  Today I finally unpacked my suitcases and started going through boxes.  Tonight not only did I finally find my MIA passport, but it was with a card.  Two years ago I didn't have the funds to fly back to Mississippi for Christmas.  So, I had Christmas with my cousins (who are wonderful and let me add myself to any major holiday at their house). 

I remember this Christmas well.  My Mom had me convinced that the only thing I was getting for Christmas was LEGOs.  Don't get me wrong I love me some LEGOs but I typically don't just go buy some for the heck of it.  Christmas came and when I opened my box from Mom there were no LEGOs in sight.  Instead she sent me Girl Scout Cookie flavor chap stick, Jolly Rancher nail polish, and a beautiful teal hooded cashmere pea coat.  I'm not going to lie, I was kinda disappointed she didn't send me LEGOs.  My Mom thought she was clever (and to be honest she usually was).  Well while I was in New Orleans with Mom, I had G (my roommate) look for my passport.  It was no where to be found.  I kinda gave up hope of finding it, until I found it tonight.

My Mom was never afraid of showing her affection for us, and we weren't afraid of showing it to her.  I remember being in high school and my younger brothers and I had no qualms stopping by to give Mom and hug and kiss on the check.  Her note in the card reminded me how much she loved me - her always wandering gypsy older daughter.  I can't tell you how many notes and cards she has written me over the years.  I just hope that she knew just how much I loved her.  I hope that my actions spoke louder than all the "I love yous" combined.  Actions really do speak louder than words.

So my friends, I don't want you crying for my grief.  I want you to take my Mom's example and apply it to your life.  If you have children, let them know how much you love them.  One of the many phrases we have at my house is "mean what you say, and say what you mean."  So don't just say the words to say it.  Mean it and then show your children how much they are loved.  To many children are starved for affection and just want to be loved unconditionally.  If you don't have children, like me, tell and show your love for those around you.  You will never forget extending kindness.

Until next time....

Much love,

Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment